In This Episode:
- Tammi Van Hollander is a Registered Play Therapist that teaches us about the Nurtured Heart Approach ®.
- The founder of the Nurtured Heart Approach ® is Howard Glasser.
- At www.childrenssuccessfoundation.com a free online eCourse is available to help children with challenging behaviors.
- Our guest Tammi Van Hollander, was feeling “stuck”, she wanted another tool to be consistent and effective for parents and teachers.
- Building on the children’s inner wealth, looking at their greatness and helping them to flourish is key.
- “Children do not awaken by fear of punishment, they awaken to their greatness.” is Tammi’s favorite quote from Howard Glasser.
- Putting energy into the positivity is so much more effective to help children with problematic behaviors.
- This approach has 3 Stands:
Stand 1 - “Absolutely NO I wll not energize negativity” focuses on the benefits of staying calm, collective and “resetting” if necessary.
Stand 2 - “Absolutely Yes, I will relentlessly create and energize positivity and success in my child.
Stand 3 - “Absolutely Clear, if you cross the line, there are very clear consequences that go with that (the adult stays calm and loving)
- It’s important not to ignore negative behavior; if negative behavior is ignored things may get worse and worse.
- This approach highlights the benefits for recognizing the child and honoring them for showing self-control by recognizing what they didn’t do such as hit their sibling, leave the room, etc...
- Clarity and predictability is so important for the child, as in the analogy of the video game that Tammi talks about in this episode.
- This approach supports a healthy child parent relationship as well as help regulate their emotions.
- Using the passion and gifts that comes with intensity that children sometimes exhibit can make a huge difference when helping children with challenging behaviors.
- The Nurtured Heart Approach ® is used in schools and homes all over.