Parenting in the Rain, Episode 14
Meeting My Sister, Melissa: A Story of Love, Adoption, and Connection
In This Episode:
- In this episode, I share a story that is close to my heart. A story about meeting my sister, Melissa, which was adopted at birth.
- At the time of her adoption, our sweet mom was struggling, without the means to even provide food and shelter for herself, much less a baby.
- My sister found out later in life that she was adopted and started searching for us. Eventually she found us in January 2015.
- I will remember the day that I first met her. We spoke via phone since she lives about 1,000 miles away from us. It felt surreal.
- In March, just a couple of months later, her husband and sons flew down to meet us all in person. We had a big family gathering with BBQ, tug-of-war, and family togetherness. I cherish the pictures that we took that day, as they bring back so many warm memories.
- Unfortunately, our mom was diagnosed with lung cancer. As you can imagine, we were all devastated at the thought of losing her to cancer (my dad died from lung cancer 3 years earlier), but we felt so grateful that she had a chance to connect with Melissa after 49 years.
- Melissa, with a kind and accepting heart, gave my mom so much peace and healing during her last few months of life.
- In this episode, Melissa shares what this experience was like for her.
- We are forever grateful that she found us when she found us.
(Some of These Resources Are Affiliate Links)